mercoledì 4 luglio 2012

No Al Sistema

It has been exactly 30 years since this ep was originally released. Straight forward to three decades later, the most sought after and definitely most iconic italian hardcore record ever has finally been bootleged. And it was about time if you consider that way less important records have been already repressed a long time ago! From now on, you won't have anymore to shell out 8oo bucks or more to own the almighty Wretched Indigesti split ep on vinyl. It's an almost perfect replica of the original: it has the three inserts and it comes with a simple white dust sleeve with both bands logo printed on it (in the original version they were stamped). The only consistent difference are the label colours: instead of black and white, they're red and white. Oh yeah, I was forgetting to mention that on both sides, for some unexplainable reason, tracks order has been totally altered which is quite annoying but, honestly, I can survive with it.  
Now you're all going to hate me but, as I've already said other times, Wretched is one of those bands that everyone but me seems to love. I've tried to get into them many times in different periods but it never worked. The music is just ok, good hardcore tunes but way far from having the same urgency and hysterical approach of bands like Underage or Upset Noise, just to mention a couple of names that start with "U". My main problem is Gianmario's voice. I can't stand it. I've always found it irritating. Add that I've always found their lyrics pretentious, melodramatic and too militant/dogmatic (like most italian bands of that era), et voilà: that's why I don't like Wretched. That being said, I think this is their best material and there are definitely way worse bands from the '80s that now are unexplainably revered as gods. Just think at the whole NYHC thing, with the notable exception of Urban Waste, Nihilistics and Antidote, ALL the rest is just utter crap.
At this point you should have been asking to yourselves "so why did you buy it, you douchebag?". Good point, sir. For the Indigesti side, of course! I was introduced to classic italian hardcore around mid 90s', when Cripple Bastards used to cover quite often "Mass Media". To this day, Indigesti is still my favourite band from that era and no doubt the material contained here is their best stuff ever. These six brief tunes are indeed the best explanation ever of the wild and frantic sound that became the trademark of the hardcore/punk unleashed from this bloody boot-shaped penisula. Also, lyrically, I've always found them more sincere and genuine than that band on the other side...plus Rudy vocals are simply insane! I guess that not being from a city like Milano helped, too. I've always found bands from small and isolated cities way more interesting than the ones from big, fancy and trendy places...

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento